FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Lucy Pollak
[email protected] 818-887-1499 (for media only)
Australian Theatre Company returns to Matrix Theatre
with ‘Works by Women’ free reading series
Australian Theatre Company’s “Works by Women“ Reading Series — L.A.’s Australian Theatre Company presents its second annual reading series: five Australian plays written and directed by women over the course of four Wednesdays in June. Enjoy free admission and Australian refreshments.
• Wednesday, June 8 at 8 p.m.:
Neighbourhood Watch by Lally Katz— When an unlikely friendship forms between lost twenty-something, Ana and Hungarian octogenarian, Catherine, lessons are learned about the tragedies of war, loss and resilience.
• Wednesday, June 15 at 8 p.m.:
Jump for Jordan by Donna Abela — Tackling the struggles of a Jordanian-Australian family finding their way through old and new ways, Jump for Jordan has strong female characters, diversity, comedy, gay rights and history.
• Wednesday, June 22 at 8 p.m.:
– Medea by Kate Mulvany and Anne-Louise Sark — As seen through the eyes of her two sons, this modern retelling of Euripides’ tragedy is edgy, Australian, fun and clever.
– Permission to Spin by Mary Rachel Brown — Absurd, funny and darkly thrilling, Permission To Spin locks us in the room with an unusual dilemma – a kiddy pop star’s work is being used to torture terrorists off shore. Should he charge for royalties? Should he oppose his music being used? Things get intense when his management ironically decides he shouldn’t have a voice in the matter.
• Wednesday, June 29 at 8 p.m.:
Anaconda by Sarah Doyle — Inspired by Trinity Grammar’s sex scandal, Anaconda looks at the aftermath of bullying and the search for redemption. A disturbing, illuminating, touching and a fascinating insight into the underground culture of boarding school abuse.
The Matrix Theatre
7657 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90046
(west of Stanley Ave., between Fairfax and La Brea)
RSVP to [email protected]