FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Lucy Pollak
[email protected] (818) 887-1499 (for media only)
Radical politics of Weather Underground are
basis for West Coast premiere of ‘HOME/SICK’
HOME/SICK — The West Coast premiere of a theatrical reimagining of the history of the Weather Underground, developed and devised by New York City theater collective, The Assembly, and members of the cast. Disgusted by the Vietnam War and the government’s repression of those seeking equality domestically, a handful of leaders from the 1960s student movement seized control of Students for a Democratic Society and reshaped it in the name of overthrowing the United States government. Believing violence to be the only means to transform American politics and society, these passionate idealists accelerated a movement to a revolutionary fervor, but left a country behind.
“CRITIC’S PICK… A cutting-edge young theater collective… By the end we have witnessed a sort of sociological big bang, when this tight, angry ball of political energy suddenly bursts and disbands irreparably.” — Catherine Rampell, The New York Times
• Devised and written collectively by The Assembly
• Directed by Jess Chayes
• Starring Edward Bauer, Ben Beckley, Kate Benson, Anna Abhau Elliot, Daniel Johnsen and Emily Louise Perkins
• Presented by The Assembly: Stephen Aubrey, Edward Bauer, Ben Beckley, Nick Benacerraf,
Jess Chayes and Emily Louise Perkin; and Odyssey Theatre Ensemble: Ron Sossi, artistic director
June 9 – July 3
• Monday at 8 p.m.: June 27
• Wednesdays at 8 p.m.: June 15*, 22, 29
• Thursdays at 8 p.m.: June 9 (preview),16*, 23, 30
• Fridays at 8 p.m.: June 10 (preview), 17* **; 24; July 1
• Saturdays at 8 p.m.: June 11 (opening night), 18, 25; July 2
• Sundays at 4 p.m.: June 12, 19*, 26; July 3
* Talkback scheduled following the performance
**The third Friday of every month is wine night at the Odyssey: enjoy complimentary wine and snacks and mingle with the cast after the show.
2055 S. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90025
• (310) 477-2055 ext. 2 or www.OdysseyTheatre.com
• Visit us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/OdysseyTheatre
• Follow us on Twitter: @OdysseyTheatre_
• $25–$34 (reserved seating)
HOME/SICK, the seventh production created and staged by The Assembly, premiered at Brooklyn’s The Collapsable Hole in 2011, where it extended and was named Critics’ Pick by The New York Times, Backstage and Off Off Online. It was subsequently remounted at the Living Theatre in 2012 (where it was famously performed by flashlight during Hurricane Sandy) and at Wesleyan University in 2014. Recommended for mature audiences.