FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact: Lucy Pollak
email@example.com (818) 887-1499 (for media only)
IAMA ensemble-inspired ‘Celestial Events’ explores
friendship, love and shared experience in the city of L.A.
HOLLYWOOD (REVISED March 4, 2022) — IAMA Theatre Company returns to in-person theater with the world premiere of a new, ensemble-inspired play about friendship, love and shared experience in the city of L.A. Written, directed and performed entirely by members of the IAMA ensemble, Celestial Events opens at Actors Company LA in Hollywood on March 5 for nine performances through March 14.
Celestial Events introduces us 12 Angelenos whose paths cross in mysterious ways on the eve of a once-in-a-millennia meteor shower.
“This piece has turned out to be a wonderful, joyous collaboration among our multi-talented ensemble,” explain Deborah S. Craig and Christian Durso, who head up the writing team. “We worked together creatively across the board, and the result is, we think, an evening that speaks to our shared humanity. Here’s a chance to take a break from crisis. To go and feel something together, as a community.”
“Sharing a new piece of theater created fully by our amazing ensemble is the perfect way to welcome our audience back in person to IAMA,” says artistic director Stefanie Black. “At our very core, IAMA is a group of artists celebrating the human experience together.”
The 22 members of the ensemble actively involved in the creation of Celestial Events include writers Craig and Durso alongside Anna Rose Hopkins, John Lavelle and Adriana Santos; co-directors Tom Amandes and Adrian Gonzalez; and actors Alex Alcheh, Ryan W. Garcia, Tina Huang, Bailey Humiston, Andria Kozica, Melissa Jane Osborne, Kacie Rogers, Adriana Santos, Sonal Shah, Lexi Sloan, Margaux Susi and Jamie Wollrab. Craig, Kozica, Lavelle, Rogers and Sloan functioned as members of the creative team, alongside Parvesh Cheena. The production manager is Josh Epstein, and Terry Li and Geoffrey Rivas co-produce.
Founded in 2007, IAMA is a Los Angeles-based ensemble of artists committed to the creation and cultivation of new voices and artists that challenge boundaries and take risks, while fostering an inclusive community that inspires theater-makers of future generations. Los Angeles is one of the most diverse metropolitan areas in the world and IAMA’s work reflects the new voices and changing attitudes that continue to shape this city, state, country and world. Designated by Playbill as “one of 20 regional houses every theater lover must know,” the award-winning company has seen many plays generated at IAMA travel to off-Broadway, including to Second Stage and Playwrights Horizons, then go on to be performed regionally and internationally. IAMA members have been featured in numerous critically acclaimed TV shows and films as well as in a vast array of theater and live performances on and off-Broadway and across the country. IAMA has been dedicated to developing new plays and musicals by emerging and established playwrights, culminating in over 25 world, West Coast and Los Angeles premieres.
Performances of Celestial Events take place March 5 through March 14 on the following schedule: Saturday, March 5 at 8 p.m. (Opening Night); Sunday, March 6 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Thursday, March 10 at 8 p.m.; Friday, March 11 at 8 p.m.; Saturday, March 12 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Sunday, March 13 at 7 p.m.; and Monday, March 14 at 8 p.m. The Actors Company LA is located at 916 N Formosa Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90046. All tickets are $20. Proof of full vaccination (including booster shot if eligible) and valid ID are required for admission; patrons who are exempt from COVID-19 vaccinations due to medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs will be required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of performance time. Patrons must remain fully masked throughout the performances. For more information and to make a reservation, go to www.iamatheatre.com.
Details for Calendar Listings
IAMA Theatre Company presents the world premiere of Celestial Events, an ensemble-inspired play about friendship, love and shared experience in the city of L.A. The paths of 12 Angelenos cross in mysterious ways on the eve of a once-in-a-millennia meteor shower.
Written, Directed, Performed and Produced entirely by ensemble members of IAMA Theatre Company
• Written by Deborah S. Craig, Christian Durso, (co-writing captains), Anna Rose Hopkins, John Lavelle, Adriana Santos
• Co-Directed by Tom Amandes and Adrian Gonzalez
• Starring Alex Alcheh, Ryan W. Garcia, Tina Huang, Bailey Humiston, Andria Kozica, Melissa Jane Osborne, Kacie Rogers, Adriana Santos, Sonal Shah, Lexi Sloan, Margaux Susi, Jamie Wollrab
• Creative Team: Parvesh Cheena, Deborah S. Craig, Andria Kozica, John Lavelle, Kacie Rogers, Lexi Sloan
• Production Manager: Josh Epstein
• Co-Produced by Terry Li and Geoffrey Rivas
• Presented by IAMA Theatre Company
March 5 – March 14
• Saturday, March 5 at 8 p.m. (Opening Night)
• Sunday, March 6 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Thursday, March 10 at 8 p.m.
• Friday, March 11 at 8 p.m.
• Saturday, March 12 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Sunday, March 13 at 7 p.m.
• Monday, March 14 at 8 p.m.
Actors Company LA
916 N Formosa Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90046
• Proof of full vaccination (including booster shot if eligible) and valid ID are required for admission.
• Patrons who are exempt from COVID-19 vaccinations due to medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs will be required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of performance time.
• Masks, covering both mouth and nose, must be worn throughout the performance.
# # #