FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Press Contact (for media only):
Lucy Pollak email@example.com (818) 887-1499
‘Paradise’ by Laura Maria Censabella will
re-open at Matrix Theatre on March 8
Science, culture and religion collide in acclaimed Viola
Davis/Julius Tennon produced West Coast premiere
West Coast premiere of Paradise — Following four weeks of sold-out performances at the Westside’s Odyssey Theatre, the acclaimed production of Laura Maria Censabella’s moving, funny and thought-provoking drama, produced by Viola Davis and Julius Tennon’s JuVee Productions and American Oasis, will re-open at the Matrix Theatre for a second four-week run beginning March 8.
What is the science behind first love? Two outsiders, a gifted Yemeni-American teenager at a poorly rated high school in the South Bronx and her disillusioned biology teacher, form an unlikely scientific partnership in the hope of securing her a scholarship. But when conflicts arise over differences in religion, culture and the boundaries of mentorship, their capacity to alter the course of each other’s lives becomes greater than either had imagined.
Paradise was commissioned by Ensemble Studio Theatre and the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, dedicated to developing new works about science and technology, and was a runner-up for the 2016 Saroyan/Paul Playwriting Prize for Human Rights.
• Written by Laura Maria Censabella
• Directed by Vicangelo Bulluck
• Starring Jeff Marlow and Maral Milani
• Produced by Viola Davis and Julius Tennon
• Executive produced by Viola Davis, Julius Tennon and John Cappetta
• General Manager Racquel Lehrman, Theatre Planners
• Presented by JuVee Productions and American Oasis
Performances: March 8 – March 31
• Thursday at 8 p.m.: March 28 ONLY
• Fridays at 8 p.m.: March 8, 15, 22, 29
• Saturdays at 8 p.m.: March 9, 16, 23, 30
• Sundays at 2 p.m.: March 17, 24, 31 (dark March 10)
A guest production at the
7657 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90046s
(west of Stanley Ave., between Fairfax and La Brea)
(323) 960-7724 or www.Plays411.com/Paradise