“The Zip Code Plays: Los Angeles”
Supplemental Press Information
91201: Glendale – The Six Pianos of Miradero
written by Alex Goldberg; directed by Lisa Sanaye Dring; starring Alexandra Hellquist, Peter James Smith and Kitty Swink
- Click here to read “Brand Park and the Gates of Miradero: The Strange Life of Glendale’s First Family”at KCET.org
91505: Burbank – True Sound
written by Steve Apostolina; directed by Gregg T. Daniel; starring Cherish Monique Duke, Emily Goss and Peter Van Norden
- Click here to read about the art of Foley technique.
90262: Lynwood – Blue Like You
written by Ann Noble; directed by Jonathan Muñoz-Proulx; starring Claudia Elmore and Kwana Martinez
- Click here to learn about the City of Lynwood at Key to the City.
- Click here to read about the Lynwood Dairy and Creamery Co, where the city got its start.
- Click here to read about the Lynwood jail.
90027 Griffith Park – The Fire In-Between
written by Peppur Chambers; directed by Rondrell McCormick; starring Mark Doerr, Gerard W. A. Joseph and Peter Mendoza
- Click here to read about “The Fire of ’33” in the Los Angeles Fire Department Historical Archive.
- Click here to read “California Retrospective: Remembering the 1933 Griffith Park fire disaster” in the Los Angeles Times.
90039: Frogtown – Anaxyrus Boreas
written by Daniel Hirsch; directed by Sara Lyons; starring EAlpharaoh, Carolyn Ratteray and Rebekah Tripp
- Click here to read about Frogtown at Wikipedia.
- Click here to read about the gentrification of Frogtown in the Daily Beast.
90028: Hollywood – Marie Dressler: Good Gal
written by Diana Burbano; directed by Cameron Watson; starring Julia Fletcher
- Click here to read about Marie Dressler at the Women Film Pioneers Project.
90026 Echo Park – $10 Dollars and a Tambourine
written by Mildred Inez Lewis; directed by Gigi Bermingham; starring Eve Gordon, Leonard Earl Howze, Mike McShane
- Click here to read about Aimee Semple McPherson and the Angelus Temple in Smithsonian magazine.
- Click here to read the Los Angeles Times article about McPherson, written by Gary Krist, author of “The Mirage Factory: Illusion, Imagination, and the Invention of Los Angeles.”
- Click here to read about the connection between McPherson and William J. Seymour.
- Click here to read about William J. Seymour at Wikipedia.
- Click here to read about William Muholland at WaterandPower.org.
90069: West Hollywood – Brunch, Interrupted
written by Sean Abley; directed by Michael A. Shepperd; starring Bill Brochtrup, Anne Gee Byrd and Parnell Damone Marcano
- Click here to read about West Hollywood on the City’s official site.
- Click here to read “The Story of How West Hollywood Came to Symbolize LGBTQ L.A.” in Los Angeles magazine.
- Click here to learn about the “gentrification” of West Hollywood at LAist.
90303: Inglewood – The Vig
written by Paula Cizmar; directed by Bernadette Speakes; starring Ellis Greer, Don R. McManus and Keiana Richàrd
- Click here to read about Inglewood’s Hollywood Park race track.
91331: Pacoima – Gold & Shine
written by Khari Wyatt; directed by Saundra McClain; starring Tamika Katon-Domegal, Dale E. Turner and Karen Malina White
- Click here to read about African American history in Pacoima in the Los Angeles Times.
- Click here to read about Pacoima in the Los Angeles Daily News.
- Click here to read more about the historic significance of Pacoima’s Joe Louis Homes.
91601: North Hollywood – End of the Line
written by Peppur Chambers; directed by Gregg T. Daniel; starring Tamara Graham, Mildred Marie Langford and Rob Nagle
- Click here to read about the history of North Hollywood.
- Click here to learn about the NoHo Arts District.
91754: Monterey Park – Bingo Bitches
written by Elizabeth Wong; directed by Jennifer Chang; starring Karen Hui, Jade Hykush and Cici Lau
- Click here to learn more about Monterey Park.
90012: DTLA – Clara and Serra and The Talking Bear
written by Angela J. Davis; directed by Steven Robman; starring Tony Amendola, Luis Kelly-Duarte, Abby Marks
- Click here to learn about lawyer, suffrage leader, and founder of the public defender movement Clara Shortridge Foltz
- Click here to read about extinct, prehistoric short-faced bear genus Arctodus
- Click here for information about Franciscan priest and founder of the California missions, Father Junipero Serra,
and click here to read about the toppling of his statue in DTLA in June, 2020
Click here for everything you need to know about Comet Neowise
90272: Pacific Palisades – Annexing the Palisades
written by Alex Goldberg; directed by Ann Noble; starring Nike Doukas, Harry Groener, Adrian LaTourelle
- Click here to read “What really happened at Rustic Canyon’s rumored Nazi ranch?” at Curbed LA
90011: South Central Los Angeles – Speakeasy
written by Khari Wyatt; directed by Bernadette Speakes; starring Bernard K. Addison, Lloyd Roberson II, Marlow Wyatt
- Click here to read about what Central Avenue was like in it’s heyday at Curbed LA: “Mapping the jazz clubs that made Central Avenue swing”
91352: Sun Valley – Salvage
written by Steve Serpas; directed by Julia Fletcher; starring Gigi Bermingham and Jon Chaffin
- Click here to read the story in the Los Angeles Times: “A Dump or Paradise? : With 50 Junkyards, Sun Valley May Be the ‘Auto Wrecking Capital’ of California, but Many Residents Brag of a Small-Town Ambiance”
90024: Westwood – All Information Herein Is Classified
written by Deb Hiett; directed by Carolyn Ratteray; starring Dawn Didawick, Bo Foxworth, Catia Ojeda
- Click here to read about the street protest in Westwood on June 1, 2020
- Click here to read about the street protest in Westwood on July 26, 2020
- Click here to read about the street protest in Westwood on Oct. 1, 2020
90403: Santa Monica – Plucker
written by Nayna Agrawal; directed by Jonathan Muñoz-Proulx; starring Veralyn Jones, Kavi Ramachandran Ladnier, Marcelo Tubert
- Click here to read the article at LAist: “Is It OK To Take Avocados And Other Fruits From Your Neighbor’s Tree? LA’s Favorite Question, Revisited”
- Click here to learn about the College Streets of Santa Monica